Contact Houston Motorcycle Intersection Accident Lawyer RJ Alexander Law PLLC to help you receive the compensation you deserve! Free Initial Consultation Call (832) 458-1756.
When two or more cars come together at an intersection, the potential for an accident is high if any one driver fails to follow safety rules. Unfortunately, there are many possible things that can go wrong. The National Highway Traffic Safety Institute estimates that around 40 percent of all 2008 car crashes in the U.S. happened at an intersection.
When a driver causes a crash because he doesn’t follow the rules or behave in a reasonably prudent way at an intersection, it is very important that he or she be held accountable. The driver responsible for the crash could be sued and made to pay compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other damages.
Common Causes of Houston Motorcycle Intersection Accidents – Houston Motorcycle Lawyer
Houston motorcycle intersection accidents can happen at any location where cars come together. However, they are especially likely to occur on the busy urban streets of Houston and elsewhere in Texas where there is a lot of traffic and where drivers may be impatient and aggressive in trying to make it through the intersection.
Specific bad behavior on the part of drivers at intersections is also likely to cause or contribute to a crash. The NHTSA has identified certain common causes of intersection crashes, all of which relate to at least one driver’s failure to be reasonably prudent.
These common crash causes include:
- Inadequate Observation – 44.1 percent of intersection accidents caused by drivers, the crash occurs due to a failure to properly survey and observe the status of the traffic in the intersection.
- Incorrect assumptions – In 8.4 percent of intersection accidents caused by drivers, the accident occurred because a driver made the wrong guess about what another driver was going to do.
- Turns despite obstructed views – In 7.8 percent of intersection accidents caused by driver, the car wreck occurred because a driver made a turn without first confirming that the intersection was clear.
- Illegal actions – In 6.8 percent of intersection accidents that a driver caused, the driver broke driving laws by doing actions such as running a red light, turning from the incorrect lane or making an illegal U-turn.
- Driver distraction – In 5.7 percent of intersection accidents that a driver caused, the driver was distracted. In another 3.4 percent of cases, the driver was inattentive. Cell phones, grooming, entering directions into a GPS, reading a map, reaching for something in the car, playing with the internal car controls or eating while driving are all potential causes of a distracted driving wreck.
- Driver misjudgment – In 5.5. percent of intersection accidents that driver caused, the driver misjudged the speed of another driver or misjudged the amount of time he had to driver or turn.
These were the top contributing driver-related behaviors that led to intersection accidents. Unfortunately, the NHTSA indicates that a full 96 percent of intersection accidents result from a bad decision made by one or more drivers, This means that all of these accidents could potentially have been prevented by a more careful driver. The remaining 4 percent of crashes occurred due to intersection design, malfunctions with the traffic lights or signals or problems with one or more vehicles.
Legal Help After a Houston Motorcycle Intersection Accident – Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
After a Houston intersection accident, the driver who made the error leading to the crash can be sued and held legally liable for any resulting injuries and damages. To sue a driver successfully, the injured victims or surviving family members of those killed in a car wreck will need to show that the other driver was negligent or more careless than a hypothetical reasonable person would have been.
Negligence can also be assumed in situations where a safety law was broken if the accident was a result of the violation. You’ll also need to prove that the other driver’s actions were a direct cause of the accident and of any resulting injuries. If you are able to make your case , you can recover compensation for:
- Property Damage
- Past and future medical expenses, including hospital expenses
- Rehabilitation expenses or ongoing care costs
- Lost earning if the injury resulted in missing work or lost earning capacity if the accident limited your ongoing care costs
- Lost earnings if the injury resulted in missing work or lost earning capacity if the accident limited your ongoing ability to earn a living
- Pain and suffering and other non-economic damages such as emotional distress
- Loss of companionship in wrongful death cases.
Contact a Houston Motorcycle Intersection Accident Lawyer Today – Houston Motorcycle Lawyer
Driving rules are set up to make intersections safer. A driver who fails to obey the laws or who fails to exercise reasonable care needs to be held accountable. The Houston intersection accident lawyer at RJ Alexander Law PLLC, can help you obtain compensation after someone else causes you to suffer injury in an intersection accident. You will not pay for our legal services unless we obtain compensation for you and your family. Contact our intersection accident attorney RJ Alexander Law PLLC today at 832.458.1756 or get in touch by using the online contact form. The firm provides a free, non-obligation consultation.